YuleLog Home
Facebook Icon Small Circle YouTube Icon Small Circle  YouTube Icon Small Circle TikTok Icon Small Circle

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics27,411
Posts335,260
Members1,591
Most Online557
Jan 14th, 2020
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chrystin wrote to me asking how to get a picture that she had scanned, or taken with a digital camera onto the internet so it could be viewed by others. I took some time to write out all the instructions, and then thought maybe others could benefit too. So I'm posting them here.

There are several ways to do it specifically, but all the same generally. The GENERAL idea is that you must UPLOAD the picture to a place on the internet where others can access it. You see, they can't access a file that is located on your personal hard drive.

Your Internet Service Provider (who you dial up through to get online, otherwise known as ISP) may provide you some free web space with your account, but since each ISP is different I won't go into that. The quickest, easiest way to do this regardless of who your ISP is, in my opinion, is to use Honesty.com's free photo hosting service. Go to honesty.com, and get an account with them (for free). It just takes a minute to register.

Honesty provides several services, like free hit counters for auction pages, and finding the "sold" prices for items, but the service you are interested in is called "Image Hosting." From honesty's home page, you will find it in the grey menu bar beneath the main green bar that says "Honesty Auction Tools." (you can use their service to host regular photos too...not just ones you're using for auctions). So click on "Image Hosting."

Then click on "Add Images." You will be taken to a page where there is an upload form to upload as many as 5 images at a time. It says "Browse Hard Drive for Images" and that's just what you're going to do. Click the "Browse" button. A window will pop up that you can use to navigate your hard drive to find WHERE you stored the picture. When you find it, double-click it. That window will then go away, and your file name will show on the web page now.

After you've selected all the files you want to upload, click the "Upload Image(s)" button at the bottom of the page. If your computer is a Macintosh, be sure to click that option box.

Next, you will see a page that tells you (hopefully) that your image(s) have been uploaded successfully. It will say something like,

FILENAME Added Successfully http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/182/85/21828547.gif

That second line, the one that begins with "http://" is important. This is the reference that you need to make, in order to direct others to see your photo. It is your picture's address on the internet.

So now, when you go back to the YuleLog board and want to post your picture right on the site, you need to tell the board that you want to post a picture. You do this by using UBB code (you could use HTML, but UBB is easier). Type this: [img] then paste in the http:// address given to you above when you uploaded the file then follow the address with [/img]. No spaces between the UBB codes and the address. After you complete your post, your picture should now show up on the board.

If you don't want to post the picture directly on the board (like if it's too LARGE and will make the board go scrolling left to right), but just want to put in a clickable link so readers can click on it to see the picture, use the following UBB codes before and after the http address: (before the address) and (after the address). Again, no spaces between the code and the address.

If you have questions about this process, please post them here so others may benefit. Hope this helps someone!

------------------
Lora Welch
Lee's Summit, MO

[This message has been edited by LWelch (edited 12-03-2000).]

Washingston State OR Kauai
Elf Manager
Elf Manager
Washingston State OR Kauai
Lora...

Thanks for posting this! I already know how to post pictures, but, believe me...it took a while to figure it out!

The big help for me would have been the hint to use Honesty's image hosting or GoTo's image hosting. I had a hard time figuring out my isp's hosting and now have some pictures "out there somewhere"!

I use GoTo Image hosting services and like it..it's easy!

Thanks again!

Sandy

Sandy
Raytown, MO USA
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Raytown, MO USA
Lora,
Thanks for putting this together.
Does it take awhile to upload images? Mine won't seem to upload. I also notice it says it no longer uploads .tif. What does that mean? I have a .tif at the end of my pictures. Whatever that means.

Dee
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Dee!

.TIF is a file extension. File extensions tell the computer what type of file it is. Like all Microsoft Word documents have a .doc extension, and most web page files have a .htm or .html extension. .tif is a file extension for a type of graphics file, similar to .jpg, or .gif but Honesty.com is no longer supporting these types of files (.tif).

If you go into your image program, you might be able to "Save As" and choose a .jpg or .gif file type. Then, your file will be a type that Honesty.com will support, and you shouldn't have any trouble uploading it.

As far as upload time, that depends on the speed you're connected to the internet at, the amount of traffic on the internet, and the size of the file you're uploading. For most of my photos, the upload time is just several seconds (I usually connect at 46,000) to a minute or so. But if you're trying to upload .tif files, perhaps that's why they're not going (because Honesty doesn't support them).

Hope this helps~!

------------------
Lora Welch
Lee's Summit, MO

TX
C
Elf VP
Elf VP
C
TX
Lora, I tried uploading today and all went well except it never seemed to finish. I was able to choose the file and click on upload and the blue thingie loaded up and completed but nothing else ever happened. It's like it stalls. I'm loading bmp files that are about 1 MB in size. I did email their help folks so maybe they'll have some ideas. Have you ever had this type problem?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Chrystin, image files of 1MG size are HUGE! Most of the photos I upload, like for auctions, are in the neighborhood of 20-25KB. It takes 1000KB to make a MG. So you can see that the size of file you're trying to upload is about 40 times larger than the ones I usually send....thus, it would take about 40 times longer to send.

I'd suggest using your photo-editing software to reduce the size of your photo before uploading it.

------------------
Lora Welch
Lee's Summit, MO

Raymore, MO
Elf VP
Elf VP
Raymore, MO
Bump to the top for reference

After you get your pictures on a server somewhere, here are the codes (shown in red) to use to get them to show up in a YuleLog post...

[img]http://www.yourservername/picturename.jpg[/img]

------------------
Linda in KCMO
http://theornamentqueen.com

[This message has been edited by Linda Wilson (edited 11-27-2001).]

Linda Wilson
The Ornament Queen
http://TheOrnamentQueen.com/catalog
Raymore, MO
Elf VP
Elf VP
Raymore, MO
bumping to the top

The information presented below is very helpful in getting pictures from your computer to the internet for bulletin boards such as YuleLog or for using on ebay.

The company referenced below called Honesty.com has been acquired by Andale.com and I think they now have a small charge for picture hosting.

There are still several places out there that let you post for free. Just do a GOOGLE search for "free photo hosting" and you should get some current choices.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Linda Wilson (edited 11-23-2003).]

Linda Wilson
The Ornament Queen
http://TheOrnamentQueen.com/catalog
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[img]http://family.webshots.com/photo/1381158840040445430bDjilv[/img]

Elk Grove, California, U.S.A.
C
Elf Engineer - Toy Design
C
Elk Grove, California, U.S.A.
bump

TX
Elf VP
Elf VP
TX
bump

[This message has been edited by hallmark*kid (edited 11-12-2007).]

~ Liz ~

Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
Anyone out there care to write a newer version of this to help people who want to post photos?

Todd

Duncan, OK
ba Offline
Duncan, OK
Todd, those same instructions are still good.

Or if they are using the "Full Reply Screen" they won't need to mess with the "img" tags.

Here's how to do it with the "Full Screen Reply":

Note: You will still need to have your pictures hosted (uploaded) somewhere as explained in the first post.

Click on the 3rd icon (see below):

Then in the pop-up box, enter the address to your image file (it needs to end in .jpg, .gif, .bmp (not recommended), etc):

Click OK, then in the reply box your screen would look something like this:

Then click on Submit.

Last edited by ba; 02/02/08 04:21 AM.

?
Duncan, OK USA
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper
Yahoo Groups Moderator
Santa's Helper
Duncan, OK USA
Hey! Someone else is using my bird picture! LOL!

Linda

Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
Thank you, bill! Nice job. I'm not sure if the hosting service in that first post is still active. Can some of you that use other services share some tips?

Comfort and Joy!
Todd Ray - YuleLog Software - http://www.yulelog.com
Pasadena, CA USA
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Pasadena, CA USA
testing posting

Last edited by Diana*; 11/04/08 02:23 PM.

You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it. - Joyce Meyer
U.S.A.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
U.S.A.
This is a test.

Well as you can see from the above photo, I finally figured out
how to post photos to this board. It's a lot more complicated
for me than the above instructions. I usually post to
shutterfly.com but shutterfly does not include the .jpg in the
address so I can only post a link through them. So I opened an
account with photobucket but photobucket does not automatically
resize my photos like shutterfly does. So I resized my photo
with my editing program, then posted it to photobucket,once I
captured the address and posted it using the 3rd icon from the
left in the full reply screen, I had to delete everything that
went after the .jpg, and then after all that, my photo showed up
in the reply..whew!

Hallmark fan,
Queli
Raytown, MO USA
Dee Offline
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Raytown, MO USA
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures[img]

Dee
Ohio
Elf VP
Elf VP
Ohio

M
mariem
Unregistered
mariem
Unregistered
M
Testing
Marie's Albums

I was having problems posting m link and realised I was clicking the 3rd (image) icon instead of the 1st (link) icon. As soon as I saw that I tried it and it worked.

I have been up all night and my brain didn't catch the error right away.

Marie

Last edited by mariem; 01/24/11 04:11 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard