YuleLog Home
Facebook Icon Small Circle YouTube Icon Small Circle  YouTube Icon Small Circle TikTok Icon Small Circle

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics27,411
Posts335,260
Members1,591
Most Online557
Jan 14th, 2020
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#258665 02/06/14 06:50 PM
Greensboro, NC
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
Greensboro, NC
Okay, sometimes when I'm bored and have some time on my hands, I bake. I've been taking processed foods out of my diet, and that includes desserts. So, when I want a dessert, I make it from scratch (or grab fruit, which is what I usually do, but fruit's better in the summer).

So, today, I'm currently making these gingersnaps that I found a recipe for on Food Network's website. I had all of the ingredients, so that made it a winner for me.

The first batch just cooled enough to try, and they are very yummy!

Link to the recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/incredibly-crisp-gingersnaps-recipe.html

I didn't do the full 15-20 minutes like it says. I did 12 minutes for the first batch, and they turned out fine. I think the longer you leave them, the drier they become, but the bottoms will brown, so 10-12 minutes works out better.

To make it slightly healthier, I use unbleached all-purpose flour and turbinado sugar in the raw instead of "sugar." Unbleached flour is less processed. Turbinado sugar in the raw is far less processed than white sugar. I recently switched to these types of flour/sugar for baking. Granted, I will use white sugar on occasion.

If you use raw sugar, it is bigger crystals and they are a light brown color instead of white, so in the recipe where it says to wait for the sugar/butter mixture to turn white, it won't. Just do the five minutes, and it's fine. The raw sugar doesn't look nearly as pretty as white sugar either on the outside. It sparkles less, but it tastes the same, so whatever. wink

luckdragon #272309 11/23/14 07:47 PM
M
Elf Manager
Elf Manager
M
Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I keep promising to make healthier versions of recipes but so far I haven't. I am going to keep this recipe handy.

Marie

luckdragon #272340 11/24/14 05:59 PM
Rocket City, U.S.A.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Rocket City, U.S.A.
My daughter ordered herself the 100 Days of Real Food Cookbook a couple of months ago and is enjoying cooking and baking many items from it. I think she is planning on making a Pumpkin Cheesecake and a Chocolate Pecan Pie from it this week along with a healthy salad with fruits, nuts and mixed greens. I told her as long as Dad & Steven have turkey, mashed potatoes and rolls . . . they won't care what else she & I fix to go with it. smile

She's even taken to making her own face wash . . . olive oil, raw honey and seems like something else. I gave her one of my old olive oil bottles with Flamingo's on it to store it in!!! wink That girl!

luckdragon #273476 12/21/14 04:37 PM
Rocket City, U.S.A.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Rocket City, U.S.A.
Sarah finally got home last night and this is what she spent the evening making! Recipe sounds about the same as what she made . . . except she used Hodgson's (sp?) Whole Wheat Flour. I had to run to the store to buy ground cloves, only had whole on hand and a fresh box of baking soda. They turned out very good!

luckdragon #273484 12/21/14 08:42 PM
Greensboro, NC
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
Greensboro, NC
Homemade ones are much better than store ones, huh?

My family makes candy at Christmas, so I haven't made these in a while, but they are Christmasy with the smells and all (the smell of cloves is one of my favorite smells).

Moderated by  Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard