YuleLog Home
Facebook Icon Small Circle YouTube Icon Small Circle  YouTube Icon Small Circle TikTok Icon Small Circle

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 39 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics27,411
Posts335,260
Members1,591
Most Online557
Jan 14th, 2020
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Duluth, MN
D
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
D
Duluth, MN
I have an excellent recipe from Paula Deen's magazine that I thought I would share with my fellow Yuleloggers. I made this recipe twice at Christmastime (1st time for our local club's annual Christmas Party and for Christmas Day) and I made it again yesterday for me and my fellow graduate sociology students in the Research Methods course.

It's simply too die for!

Turtle Trifle
1 (21-ounce) package chewy fudge brownie mix, baked according to package directions
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups light corn syrup
2/3 cut butter, melted
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups chopped pecans
1 (16oz.) container frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 (12oz.) jar caramel ice-cream topping
2 cups toasted whole pecans

Crumble brownies; set aside.

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, and eggs. Stir in salt, vanilla, and chopped pecans. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool completely.

In a trifle dish, layer brownies, pecan mixture, whipped topping, caramel, and toasted whole pecans, as desired. (depending upon the size of your trifle dish, I was able to go do this step 3 times over and over).

Chill for 2 hours before serving.

Also, you can make this mini. Layer the Turtle Trifle in small footed dessert dishes to make individual servings.

This is an excellent dessert; but, might be too sweet for some people.

Rocket City, U.S.A.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Rocket City, U.S.A.
Sounds Yum Richard. I'm not a caramel person at all. I can't stand sticky things on my teeth, not even gum. I'd have to leave that ingredient out IF I made it.

I saw a commercial today, Paula is suppose to be on Sean Hannity's "Hannity's America" episode tonight (4/5/2009) . . . wonder IF she and Sean will be cooking or talking politics? \:\) LOL

My parents use to watch Paula Deen's show on cable tv, but now that Mother is gone Daddy eats out all the time. I'm about the only person that might cook at his house now when I visit a couple of times per year since I'm probably the only one who knows how to operate her oven. The few times other brothers, sisters, wives, husbands have tried . . . I always get a phone call asking "how do you???"~!!! It's not really that hard, a double over with gas range top. LOL Oh well, I'm rambling now, time to go get my child from band practice, gotta run. ;\)

Deana

Duluth, MN
D
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
D
Duluth, MN
Deana, I don't have Fox News on my cable; so, I was not able to watch her last night on Hannity. I do hope she stuck to cooking and didn't move into politics. She is a hoot to watch on the Food Network. I loved the episode she did of "Iron Chef America" along with Robert Irvine and Tyler Florence.

It'd be worth going to Georgia just to eat at her restaurant.

Pasadena, CA USA
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Pasadena, CA USA
 Originally Posted By: Duluth_Collector
Make reservations WAY in advance - the lines were out the door!

Greer, S.C.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Greer, S.C.
Richard,
I made your Turtle Trifle yesterday for our holiday dinner today and will let you know how it turns out later. It looks good, smells good, it has all good ingredients in it so it has to be good.
Mary

Duluth, MN
D
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
D
Duluth, MN
Hi Mary! I hope that the dessert worked out for you and was good!

I have never made it the night before; however, I have noticed the leftover trifle tastes even better than the original 1st servings.
I gave out plenty of leftovers on Monday and everybody who ate theirs remarked that it tasted better the longer it sat in the fridge.

Greer, S.C.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Greer, S.C.
It was very very very good.
I and everyone else loved it. My Grandson who is 6'3" took a cereal bowl full of it and then couldn't eat it all, it was too rich.
Mary

Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
 Originally Posted By: Duluth_Collector

Richard, the recipe sounds scrumptious! Btw, though I enjoy watching Paula Dean and own several of her cookbooks, I did eat at her restaurant in Savannah and did not think it was worth a repeat visit. They did not take reservations when I ate there, and the only way to get in was to wait in line. Since it was raining at the time, to avoid getting totally drenched, we opted to sit at the bar when they found room for us there.

A much better option, in my opinion when looking for a great place to eat in Savannah, is Mrs Wilkes' Dining Room. Even the locals patronize this place. The Lady and Sons seemed to be mainly a tourist trap to us.

Mrs. Wilkes' is also one of those "stand in line" places though - get there by 10:00 AM if you want to have a chance at the first lunch seating. And be forewarned, they do not take credit cards, only cash and personal checks. They do not serve dinner.

Pasadena, CA USA
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Pasadena, CA USA
Is there any reason why real whipped cream couldn't be used? I much prefer real cream over the oil based toppings. Or do you think the weight of the brownies and caramel would squish out the air in whipped cream or something like that?

Raleigh, NC USA
Elf Engineer - Toy Design
Raleigh, NC USA
Seems odd, Paula ALWAYS used real whipped cream on her show. I can hardly believe she would write a recipe any other way...

San Diego California
San Diego California
This sounds great. I can't wait to make it.

Minnie
Duluth, MN
D
Santa's Helper
OP Offline
Santa's Helper
D
Duluth, MN
 Originally Posted By: Diana*
Is there any reason why real whipped cream couldn't be used? I much prefer real cream over the oil based toppings. Or do you think the weight of the brownies and caramel would squish out the air in whipped cream or something like that?

That's a good ? Diana, and I am sorry that I don't have a good answer for you.

Greer, S.C.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Greer, S.C.
I always used the real whipped cream too but for this recipe I used the Cool Whip and it was good. Yes, the weight of the caramel and the brownies does weigh down the whipped cream but I just can't tell you how good it was.
Mary

Pasadena, CA USA
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Pasadena, CA USA
I'm thinking we should make two batches, one with whipped cream and one with a non-dairy topping, and then do a comparison look-see and taste-test!

Rocket City, U.S.A.
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Rocket City, U.S.A.
 Originally Posted By: Diana*
I'm thinking we should make two batches, one with whipped cream and one with a non-dairy topping, and then do a comparison look-see and taste-test!

we could do a youtube spoof of it like the commercial with the lady and the pie asking "do you want cream or oil with that?". \:\)

P
Pipat2
Unregistered
Pipat2
Unregistered
P
Thank for the info

Last edited by Pipat2; 05/02/11 08:13 PM.
M
Elf in Training
Elf in Training
M
Christmas Party and for Christmas Day) and I made it again yesterday for me and my fellow graduate sociology students in the Research Methods course.

Moderated by  Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard