YuleLog Home
Facebook Icon Small Circle YouTube Icon Small Circle  YouTube Icon Small Circle TikTok Icon Small Circle

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics27,411
Posts335,260
Members1,591
Most Online557
Jan 14th, 2020
Please Help to Support the YuleLog Bulletin Boards
Web Hosting is a big expense. If you find the YuleLog Bulletin Boards helpful, amusing or profitable, and would like to make a donation to help support them, it would be appreciated!

Feel free to donate as often as you like!

Thank you for Visiting!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#110201 10/24/99 02:10 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:

Todd,

I can't seem to get a list view of my collection. From form view when I click the list view button, I'm only getting a listing of the one form that I was viewing in form view. This function has worked properly earlier tonight but isn't now.

Also, how to I change the personal information that appears at the bottom of the screen? My area code has changed. It appears correctly in the listings of my collections but not on printouts and such. Thanks!

There are a couple of things you can check.

Go the List View, and at the bottom of the screen, click on the button that says List All. This makes sure that you have more than one item in the found set.

If this doesn't work, then you may have changed one of the settings under a pull down menu. You normally don't have to change things with the pull down menus, since everything can be done by using buttons. Go to the list view, then look under the pull down menu called Select and make sure that View as List is selected (not View as Form).

To change your name and address information, go to the Utilities Menu (this is a choice when you get to the opening screen or there is a Utilities button at the top center of the form view). At the Utilities Menu, click on button that says Name and Address Changes. You will be able to change your area code there.

Comfort and Joy!
Todd Ray - YuleLog Software - http://www.yulelog.com
#110202 12/17/99 12:33 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
Hi: I've been working with the YuleLog program a few weeks now & am very pleased with it. I started out by alphabetically grouping ornaments by series name. Can you insert a new record# into a grouping like that in order to keep the series together?? What about next year when a new one is added to the series? Or if a series or individual ornament in the series was forgotten in the original entering process?? Does record# matter or should I just always sort on ornament name & the series will be kept together that way?? Thanks for your help.

As new items are added to YuleLog, they are placed at the end of the list...

But, there is a way around this. If you go to the list view screen, you can sort the ornaments in lots of ways, by simply clicking on the column heading. Since series ornaments are listed first by their series name and number, sorting by name, will group the series properly. Then you can click on the button in the upper right hand side of the list view screen that says, SAVE SORT. This may take a few minutes on a large collection, but the result will be that your items will be sorted the way that you like!

All you need to remember is that anytime you add new items, you need to resort and SAVE SORT.

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 01-20-2000).]

Comfort and Joy!
#110203 12/31/99 01:34 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
When I try to save my collection to a disk, it won't do it because it says the file is too large. How can that be? I need to put it on a disk so I can print it out on my other computer that has a printer.

The files are pretty large if you have a large collection. The best way to move the information is to use the Backup function on the Utilities menu.

Start YuleLog and go to the Utilities Menu. Click on the button that says Save Backup Data Files. This creates 3 files that hold all of your data. They are much smaller and may fit on a floppy (depending on the size of your collection). These files are saved in the YuleLog2 folder, which is in the Program Files folder on your C: Drive. Copy these 3 backup files (backup1, backup2, & backup3) to a floppy disk or zip drive.

After you have installed YuleLog on the second computer, copy the backup files from the floppy disk to the YuleLog2 folder, in the Program Files folder on the C: drive of the second computer.

Start YuleLog on the second computer, go to the Utilities Menu, and click on the button labeled Restore from Backup Data Files. This will read the information from your backup files into YuleLog.

Comfort and Joy!
#110204 12/31/99 01:37 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
How do I move items from one collection to another?

To move things from one collection to another,(assuming you have already created the second collection) go to the item you want to transfer, click on the yellow Price Info tab, and look in the lower right hand corner of the screen for a button labeled Transfer Ownership. Click on this and you will see a list of the collections and their numbers at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the screen, you will see a list of the ornaments, showing which collection they belong to. You can then click on the collection number of each ornament and list of collection numbers will pop up. Select the number for the collection you want, and the next time you open that collection, the items you moved will be there. When you are finished transferring items, click on the Done button in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Comfort and Joy!
#110205 01/08/00 03:27 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
I would like to know how to enlarge a photo that I have scanned into YuleLog. It comes out small...

To work with YuleLog, the picture you paste in, needs to be about the same size and shape as the frame. If it is a lot larger, YuleLog has to shrink it down to fit. If your picture is much taller or wider than the frame, it will be reduced to fit. If it is a lot wider or taller, this results in much reduction. Try to start with an original that is proportioned as much like the frame (portrait and not landscape) as possible, and close to the size of the frame. If you copy very large, high resolution photos, you may make the file too large. YuleLog files have a 2 gig limit, and if you are pasting in large photos, you can hit that limit.

Comfort and Joy!
#110206 01/20/00 10:41 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
I am a collector of Anri Woodcarvings and Enesco Ornaments which I would like to enter as separate collections on my Yule Log data base.

Would you please give me the steps to be taken in order to enter ornaments which either are not Hallmark or are not in the data base.

YuleLog allows you to keep up with many different collections. These collections can belong to one or many different collectors. Every collection has to be associated with a collector. One collector could break his or her collections into a "For Sale" collection and a "Personal" collection. A collector could have an "Ornament" collection and a "Merry Miniature" collection. Or you can simply keep everything in just one collection. The choice is up to you. This feature of YuleLog also makes it nice if you want to log a friend or relatives collection.

When you click on the Continue button at the opening screen of YuleLog, you will see three buttons.

The Primary Collection button will take you directly to Collection 1. This is the first collection that was added. This is just a quick way of getting to the collection you use most.

The Work with Collections button will take you to a list of all of the collections. You can then choose which collection you want to work with.

The Work with Collectors button will take you to a list of all of the collectors. You can then add or edit information on the collectors that you track.

To add additional Collections for yourself, click on the Work with Collections Button. You will see a list of your collections. At the top of the screen, click on the NEW button.

You will see a warning telling you that you must first add a collector. Since you are the collector and you have already been added (when you first ran the program), click OK to add another collection.

You will see a list of the collectors. Click on the little circle to the left of your name to select which collector this new collection belongs to. Then click on the Continue button.

You will be taken to the Collection Form View screen. Give the collection a name. Then click on the Work with Items in the Collection button.

You will be told that there are no items in the collection and be asked if you want to add some. Click on the OK button and you will be taken to the price guide.

Since you want this collection to be non-Hallmark items, you are not really interested in the price guide, but since this program was written for Hallmark items, you need to add at least one Hallmark item to get started. You can delete this item later.

Click on the select check box of any ornament and then click on the Add To Collection button. Then click on the Add button again.

You will be taken to the Ornament List view, showing the ornament you just added. Click on the name of the ornament to get to the Form View.

Non Hallmark items are added one at a time by clicking on the NEW button at the top center of the screen. You will get a warning telling you that the best way to add ornaments is to use the price guide. Since the items that you want to add are not in the price guide, ignore the warning and click on the ADD button. You will see a minor program glitch (this will be fixed in the summer update) which warns you that this field is not modifiable. Click on OK and you will be given a blank form. You can then enter the data for your item. Add new items by clicking on the NEW button to add each new item.

In the future, you can get to this collection by going to the collection list when you start the program (by clicking on the Work with Collections button) and clicking on the name of the collection you want to work with. Or you can change from one collection to another, by clicking on the Change Collection button at the top of the Ornament Details screen.

Comfort and Joy!
#110207 01/23/00 11:35 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Elf VP
Elf VP
Lee's Summit, MO
Todd, your question below,
 Quote:
How do I move items from one collection to another?
ALMOST answers my question, but I need to know how to move ALL the items from one collection to another. For example, when I first began using YuleLog, I created separate collections for me, Darrin, and Nicholas. I don't want them separated anymore; I want to have them all in MY collection. LOL Is there a way to do this all at once, instead of item by item? I thought I could do it using the method below, except when I got to where the list of ornaments appears at the bottom of the screen, I wanted to use the "Replace" command to replace Collection 2 with Collection 1, but that option was greyed out in the menu. Is there a way? Thanks!

------------------
Lora Welch
Lee's Summit, MO
YuleLog Board Member since the beginning, and now I'm proud to be a YuleLogger Club Member!

Lora, you were very close to doing what you wanted! Open up the collection that is to be moved. Go to the yellow Price Info Screen, and click on the Transfer Ownership button (lower right hand corner of screen). Go to the first ornament in the list and change its Collection number to the collection number that you want it to have. Make sure to leave the cursor in the Collection # field, then carefully go to the Mode pull down menu and you should be able to select Replace. Read the resulting dialog box carefully, and it should tell you that it is going to replace the contents of the field Collection # with what ever number you selected. Click on the Replace button and you should get what you are after. The Replace selection was greyed out before, because you need to first have your cursor in a field... Let me know if this works!

Todd Ray

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 01-24-2000).]

#110208 02/29/00 10:52 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
HI TODD:
I HAVE YOUR PROGRAM AND I LOVE IT.
I RECORDED ALL MY ORNAMENTS (HALLMARKS ONLY)
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO INPUT MY OTHER
ORNAMENTS SUCH AS ENESCO?
I'M STILL QUIT NEW AT THIS PROGRAM SO I'M A LITTLE SLOW.

THANKS AGAIN

SHARON

I'm happy to hear you like YuleLog!

To add items to your collection that are not in the price guide:

Start YuleLog and go to the appropriate collection.

At the blue Ornament Details screen, Click on the button labeled "NEW"
located at the top center of the screen.

You will see a warning telling you it is best to add items from the price
guide. Click on the ADD button to add a new item

You will be presented with a blank form to fill out.

That's it! Repeat as needed.

Comfort and Joy!
#110209 01/02/01 07:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of my favorite presents this year (it was on my list for awhile now - so glad Santa was able to come through this year!) was YuleLog software. I am now going through boxes and boxes and trying to enter my collection.

I've taken most of my ornaments out of their boxes over the years and have boxes of just the ornamennts and other boxes of just boxes. I've also bought many pieces WITHOUT boxes so now I have a few questions related to entering these pieces in a quick manner...

Diana, these are some excellent questions! My answers follow your questions and are in bold.

1. Is there a way to find generic descriptions of pieces? i.e. Let's say I have the #1 Snow buddies in my hand, but don't recall the name (and don't have the box with it on hand). Is there a search I could do for snowman or something to find the ornament?

To some extent, you can do this by searching on the Name of the ornament, however, this will only work if the name includes the feature you are looking for... Once you have entered the ornament in your collection, you can use the "TYPE" field to enter more information about the ornament. However, at this point, YuleLog is not indexed in exactly the manner you want. I would like to work on this information, but the size of the job is daunting... I have considered sub-contracting this job, and if I can find someone willing to do it, at a price I can afford, it will be a future feature!

2. I'm entering 40 - 50 ornaments at a clip that DON'T have boxes. Is there a way to quickly change all on the current list from Mint in Box (as it is automatically entered) to No Box? I've been going record by record and doing it by hand and that gets time consuming. Or is there a way to see a list of the ornaments and change that entry with a click down the list for each without having to enter the individual forms?

You can do this, but you need to be very careful! If you have just added a group of ornaments from the price guide, right after you add them to your collection, you are looking at a list of just the items just added. If you switch to the Ornament Details Screen, change the first item to No Box, and then carefully go to the Pull Down Menu named Mode, and select "Replace" YuleLog will ask if you want to change all of the found items to "No Box". If you answer yes, it will quickly make this change. However! BE CAREFUL! If you do this incorrectly (like if you are viewing your entire collection) It will change all of your items. Make sure that the Found Set includes only the items you want to change.

3. Later I'll be going through the pile of just the boxes and changing the "No Box" to (hopefully!) Mint Box or a few Damaged Boxes.
Is there a quick way to manuever from the entries to get to just that info?

This question confuses me a little... If I understand correctly, you can first do a search to find those items that are listed as No Box. This will list only those items. You can then go to the Reports menu and select the first choice, Description and Comments. This will put the found ornaments in a list view that includes the Box Condition field. This is a pop up field that is activated by clicking in the field, and selecting your choice

4. Can I do do a simple find just within my collection list (not the price guide).

That's easy! From the blue Ornament Details screen, just click on the pink Find tab and you will be taken to the Find screen where you can perform almost any search you can think of!

5. I've found that I can see my multiple ornaments from within the forms by clicking on the Multiples form and then scrolling through each record...is there a way to get a list that shows which pieces I have multiples of?

Hmmm... That's harder... At this point there is not a report that does this. When you go to an inventory report, they are sorted first by year, then by name, thus multiples will be placed together in the report, however, there is not a quick way to just list multiples. I'll look into adding this feature to the next update.

6. I'd like to enter the colorways from 2000 Premiere and Club exclusives (like AOT colorways, Signature Snowman, Barbie 2000). What will happen to these records when the update comes out? Is there a preferable way of entering these so that the new info can "merge" with the old? Or should I somehow "mark" these so that I know to check them next year with the price guide?

If you and I use the same stock number, then you should be OK. You can study my stock number usage, and most likely figure out what I will use. However, you may want to flag the items you add manually, using the comments field, and check to see that we synch up at update time.

Thanks in advance for your help! Despite what you might think from all the questions, I'm finding the program very easy to use and very useful. I'd just like to utilize some more of the program's power rather than my time!

Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions! This is the 6th year for YuleLog, and it gets better every year, thanks to questions and suggestions by users! I'm happy to hear you like YuleLog!

Don't forget to answer yes (every now and then) when you click on the Quit button and YuleLog asks if you want to save Backup Copies of your data. I've heard from a couple of people lately who suffered crashes due to power outages (lots of those in winter!) and the backup files saved thier data!

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 01-02-2001).]

#110210 12/16/03 08:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I replaced the computer and can't seem to get the old yulelog files transfered to the new one. I tried exporting and importing, but it keeps telling me one field doesn't match, and then exports to Gordon, not my personal collection. I'm still using YuleLog 2002. I'm afraid upgrading might make things worse! What am I doing wrong?

#110211 12/16/03 09:15 PM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cabrosh:
I replaced the computer and can't seem to get the old yulelog files transfered to the new one. I tried exporting and importing, but it keeps telling me one field doesn't match, and then exports to Gordon, not my personal collection. I'm still using YuleLog 2002. I'm afraid upgrading might make things worse! What am I doing wrong?

The best way to move from one computer to another is to use the backup feature:

First start YuleLog on the old computer.At the opening screen, click on the Utilities Button. Click on the Save Backup Data Files buttons. This will create three files named Backup1, Backup2, and Backup3. These files will be saved in the YuleLog2 folder which should be in the Program Files folder on your C drive. Copy these files to a zip disk or a floppy disk. On your new computer, install YuleLog, using your newest CD, as if it were a first time installation. When ever it asks, tell the installer that this is new installation. Then copy the backup files from the floppy or zip to the YuleLog2 folder which again should be in the Program Files folder. Start YuleLog, again answering the question as if this were a first time installation. Fill out the name and address form and then at the Licensed to screen, click on the Utilities button. Click on the Restore From Back Up Data Files button. This will read your data into the new copy of YuleLog and then you should be good to go.

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 12-16-2003).]

Comfort and Joy!
#110212 08/21/05 03:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Todd,

I'm entering many ornaments that I purchase from a small store that offers the ornaments at a 20% savings. Is there a way to enter the information, the price and date purchased, all at once rather than individually as I'm doing now? Thanks for a great program.

Linda

#110213 08/22/05 11:00 AM
Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Quote:
Originally posted by lindainvirginia:
Todd,

I'm entering many ornaments that I purchase from a small store that offers the ornaments at a 20% savings. Is there a way to enter the information, the price and date purchased, all at once rather than individually as I'm doing now? Thanks for a great program.

Linda

Linda,
You can make the same change to a group of records, using the Pull down menus. You should be very carefull doing this!

First do a search that will find just the items you want to change. They must have something in common that allows you to do a search just for them, so that all the other ornaments are hidden.
Then go to the field that you want to change. Click in it and make the change on the first item. Make sure that the cursor stays in that field. Go to the Records pull down menu and select Replace Contents. You willl see a dialog box that tells you what you can replace.

You need to be very careful with this, because it will replace the contents in the entire found set. If you have your entire collection found, then it will replace the contents for that field in all records.

If you feel you need more help with this, eMail me and we can set up a telephone appointment.

Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Ray (edited 08-22-2005).]

Comfort and Joy!
South Hadley MA
Elf Engineer - Toy Design
South Hadley MA
Todd,
I tried to put in a snowman Miniature
decorations. It is a set of six snowmen. the number listed is DMP1277. do not remember what year it came out and I can not find it under the name or number. Can you help?

Elaine

Illinois
Santa's Helper
Santa's Helper
Illinois
Hi Todd,

Not to say I'm a little anxious for the 2010 new Yulelog program, just wondering when it will be ready to be sent out? Thanks,

Joyce

Southaven, MS
Administrator
Elf VP
OP Offline
Administrator
Elf VP
Southaven, MS
 Originally Posted By: Collector Joy
Hi Todd,

Not to say I'm a little anxious for the 2010 new Yulelog program, just wondering when it will be ready to be sent out? Thanks,

Joyce

I'm hoping to have it by late August, but due to some personal issues, I am running behind. Trying to catch up!

Todd

Comfort and Joy!
San Diego California
San Diego California
Hi Todd

Is there anyway to put your files on an apple ipad?

Thanks,

Minnie
Illinois
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Santa's Helper
YuleLoggers Club Co-Coordinator
Santa's Helper
Illinois
Minnie: Todd answered your question in the "Move from Windows Machine to Mac? thread below,

YuleLog will not run on an iPad. Totally different operating systems.

Ted

L
Let-Them-Fly
Unregistered
Let-Them-Fly
Unregistered
L
Hello Todd,

Brand new here, and may I say this forum is outstanding!

Kind Regards,
Frank

Last edited by Let-Them-Fly; 07/12/11 05:48 PM.
Lawrence, KS
Elf
Elf
Lawrence, KS
I have purchased the Logmein Ignition App for IPad. It is $29.99, but I love it. I installed the free version of Logmein on my main computer where I have my Yulelog program. I can access that computer from my IPad and use the Yulelog program. It is great. This means that I can do anything on the IPad I can do on that computer, like have FLASH. I think you can buy this app on some phones to.
I purchased this so I would have it for the KC trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard